PATH issues

Hello.

I have a problem with the PATH.  I'm fairly familiar with the tradional linux / unix roles for the various start up scripts, but I'm not getting the behaviour that I expect.  First of all, I'm running Ubuntu with Gnome.   I manually installed java in /opt/jdk1.5xxx  The system had a free version of java installed via APT.  (I'm a bit of newbie when it comes to the packaging system ).  It appears that the APT process pretty much puts everything into the typical, old school bins.  These are the predefined path.  So, the APt installed free version of java is found on the unmodified path, in /usr/local/bin or something.  I need to have my version of Java be found prior to that free one.  ( I think if I understood the packaging system there would be a more "debian" way of handling this, but I'm not too hip to all of that ).

My solution is to set the system wide path settings to include the bin directory of my own java installation.  PErhaps not the best way.  Please inform me of better solutions if you have them.  I first tried adding this PATH change to /etc/profile, and then to /etc/bash.bashrc.  When I did these things, the PATH changes were ONLY REFLECTED IN LOGIN SHELLS or, in the case of the bashrc, terminal shells fired up from with in Gnome.  The problem is that when I try to launch the app that needs the new path changes ( Eclipse won't run on the free java ?) from a Gnome launcher ( desktop icon ), the PATH changes don't seem to be in effect.  SO . . . why don't the PATH changes effected by /etc/profile count when running somehting from Gnome direclty?  Perhaps this is a gnome issue?

Chad