Re: Oops and segmentation fault

On Thu, 16 Mar 2006 18:08:10 +0000
Pelusa Vali <pelusitavali@postmaster.co.uk> wrote:

> hi everybody, well my problem is this, i had debian sarge and because of many changes i had to do to libs it become unstable, so i tried to reinstall it, but now i cann't.    it stops suddenly when try to install libc6, so decided to download again CD#1 and tried to upgrade to testing version because i need libs from it, i can install and upgrade it, but again suddenly, it stops when try to install python, i get this:
>
> Python2.3 postinst:Segment Fault
> Oops:0000[#2]
> Bad EIP Value
> 6339:Segment Fault
>
> and pc hangs.
> so my question is it: could it be a hardware related trouble?? may be mainboard or hard disk?? i have problems with windows too, after some time and if system is very busy, it hangs.  i changed my processor (use AMD) and clean all coolers, but system is unstable and now i cann't install debian.
> could any body try to help and tell me what those errors mean?

Google says this is probably a hardware issue. I'd guess, since you changed the processor, and its seems to be a load issue, that maybe its memory? try memtest. also, these google results suggest it could be NIC or other PCI devices:

http://www.linuxcompatible.org/%22bad_eip_value%22_t30498.html

do some google-ing and see what you can find, but something is dying in your system...