Re: Error connecting to printer via Samba

On (17/03/06 01:12), David R. Litwin wrote:
> This post is long.
>
> I have:
> > # smbclient configuration
> > //zeus/cma /smb/cma     cifs
> > credentials=/home/clive/.smb_pass,file_mode=0660,dir_mode=0770  0 0
> > //zeus/clive /smb/clive cifs
> > credentials=/home/clive/.smb_pass,file_mode=0660,dir_mode=0770  0 0
> > //zeus/misc /smb/misc  cifs
> > credentials=/home/clive/.smb_pass,file_mode=0660,dir_mode=0770  0 0
> > //zeus/tamewolf /smb/tamewolf  cifs
> > credentials=/home/clive/.smb_pass,file_mode=0660,dir_mode=0770  0 0
>

> I assume that that is the relevant bit of fstab. How do I go about finding
> my SAMBA server's name? If it is in /etc/samba/smb.conf, I'm afraid I can't
> find it. Here is my smb.conf:

I think I may have introduced some confusion into the thread :(

As I understand it, the "server" in this case is the WindowsXP box.  You
don't configure smb.conf on the client machine; it used is to share files
from Samba.  All you need to view Samba/Windows shares are smb-client
and smbfs.  cifs is a later implementation of smb and is probably what
your XP box talks.  I've found using the cifs module seems to make it
work.

That said, I don't access windows shares from my debian boxen, I have
debian servers running samba; nevertheless, the process on the client
machines shouldn't differ.

So I've snipped your smb.conf - let me know if I've 'got the wrong end
of the stick'

> .smb_pass is in the format:
> > username=clive
> > password=<password>
>

> Is that to do with the samba configuration in fstab?

Yes & no. It's to enable the shares to be mounted at boot
(preauthenticated with the 'credentials' entry in the fstab).  It's to
mount either Samba or Windows shares.

> zeus is the (Samba) server and I mount the shares under /smb which you need
> > $ sudo mkdir -p /smb/<share>
> >
> > > I also have the cifs module installed.

> > CIFS.
> >
> > Try:
> > $ sudo modconf
> >
> > and look for kernel/fs/cifs
>

> Haha!  One success. I installed the said module.

Have you tried printing again since installing the module?

> I realise that I must sound like a doltish newbie. I amn't quite: I'm simply
> not familiar with SAMBA. I thank you kindly for your patience.

To set up a client for windows or samba, you don't really need an
understanding of samba itself; that said, when you're ready to get into
it, it's great way of sharing files so that Windows, MacOSX and Linux
clients can access them.

Another reference for you:
http://www.justlinux.com/nhf/Filesystems/Mounting_smbfs_Shares_Permanently.html

Regards