Re: Error connecting to printer via Samba

On (15/03/06 19:53), David R. Litwin wrote:
> I'm trying to print to my printer from Debian. The printer (an HP DeskJet
> 842C) is connected to the main computer which uses Windows XP Pro.  I
> downloaded and installed the HPIJS driver from the HP sourceforge web-site.
> I now go to http://localhost:631 so that I can set up the printer and use
> it.
>
> I think the probem is less the error I got (*Unable to connect to CIFS host,
> will retry in 60 seconds*...*)* and more I don't know what the URI of the
> printer is. Or that I'm just a fool.
>
> Here is what I did to set up the printer.
>
> It asks for the name, location and description. I filled out HPDeskJet842C,
> Kitchen and HPDeskJet842C respectively.
> Next, it asks for the device. I choose the option Windows Printer via SAMBA.
> It then asks for the device URI. Here, I bellieve is the trouble. What is
> it? The Workgroup is WORKGROUP The main computer's name is LITWIN and the
> printer is HPDeskJet842C. So, I put in smb://LITWIN/HPDeskJet842C.
> I then select the make and model. That's it.
>
> I clicky then on Print Test Page.
>
> It says Printer State: processing, accepting jobs.
> *"Unable to connect to CIFS host, will retry in 60 seconds..."*

Have you tried putting up files for sharing on the XP system and checked
whether you can see them?

I've got smbclient and smbfs installed and mount file shares within
/etc/fstab

I also have the cifs module installed.

Your printer setup via cups looks OK.

HTH