Re: mucked-up locale settings in testing

Is the `locales` package installed?

I /believe/ it is ... in aptitude, "locales" is highlighted green, is marked 'ciA' in the leftmost column and is taking up 11.2 MB if I am reading the display correctly.

If I run 'apt-get install locales' I get a shower of unmet dependencies, mostly for kdelibs4c2a and libqt3-mt. Then at the bottom of /that/ there is the interesting message:

locales: Conflicts: base-config but 2.53.10 is to be installed

... after which it suggests (as the output also does at the top) I try apt-get -f install with no package names or to specify a solution with that command. I will try searching on that line to see what turns up.

When I run apt-get -f install, I get

Need to get 0B/84.9MB of archives.
After unpacking 43.5MB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y
perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
        LANGUAGE = "en_US:en_GB:en",
        LC_ALL = (unset),
        LANG = "en_US"
locale: Cannot set LC_CTYPE to default locale: No such file or directory
locale: Cannot set LC_MESSAGES to default locale: No such file or directory
locale: Cannot set LC_ALL to default locale: No such file or directory
Extracting templates from packages: 100%
Preconfiguring packages ...
(Reading database ... 83659 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace kdemultimedia-kio-plugins 4:3.3.2-1 (using .../kdemultimedia-kio-plugins_4%3a3.5.1-1_i386.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement kdemultimedia-kio-plugins ...
dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/kdemultimedia-kio-plugins_4%3a3.5.1-1_i386.deb (--unpack): trying to overwrite `/usr/share/doc/kde/HTML/en/kioslave/audiocd.docbook', which is also in package kdebase-kio-plugins
dpkg-deb: subprocess paste killed by signal (Broken pipe)
 /var/cache/apt/archives/kdemultimedia-kio-plugins_4%3a3.5.1-1_i386.deb

What a mess.

Regards,

Glenn

burningc@sdf.lonestar.org