Re: Outsider's observation upon the pros and cons of Debian

Hi Mike

Debian (IMHO) is a great distribution for and rock solid servers and for
people who are prepared to climb a fairly steep learning curve to run
sid/etch.  Later hardware requires newer software than sarge in many
instances.  And whilst sarge runs out of the box to a great extent
understanding configuration issues is often a requirement.

Personally, I'd recommend Ubuntu to someone who is looking for a better
experience than running windows, unless they are keen to 'learn' Debian.

As far as the list goes, I've found it invaluable over the three years
I've been learning Debian.  There is an expectation that you search the
archives for information; many questions on the list could be answered
from the archives.  That said, most people on the list are pretty
tolerant and give helpful answers.

I can't remember what your suggestions were but there have been many for
a newbie list and yours may have been one of those.  I'm not going to
rehearse the arguments against but am satisfied that they are
convincing.

That people may seem unhelpful, pre-supposes that Debian
has goal of expanding the user base; that the user base expands is a by-
product of the quality of the software, which is the primary goal of the
development community.

The Debian project does adapt and develop but there are systems and
structures in place to ensure maximum support for the direction in which
the project goes.

Developers and maintainers are key to this process but anyone can
join the effort to help the development.  We are the fortunate
beneficiaries of the Debian project as are Ubuntu, Knoppix and many
other derivative distros.

You may get flamed for your post but many will sympathise; all I can say
is that although the tone of the response you received, may have been
harsh, the advice was sound.

Regards

Clive