Re: Outsider's observation upon the pros and cons of Debian

On Sun, 12 Mar 2006 13:21:28 -0600
Mike McCarty <Mike.McCarty@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> I'm not all that enamored of the distribution I'm using, and
> have been pondering changing to another, and considering
> the pros and cons of various other distributions, Debian
> being one of those under consideration.

Seems like you're a bright guy, would love to have you stay on the list...

often there is "buzz" around a particular distro but that stuff comes and goes... i started using Linux on Caldera OpenLinux and later switched to debian because I thought it was more "official" as GNU targeted it... now it seems that Torvalds targets SuSE.

Another major reason i chose debian was that it was famed for it's user list support ... it seems I have seen a decline in participation of "experts" in the last few years - but I don't monitor the list all of the time.

sure i get frustrated when i post a question and it gets ignored - or when i see i question i think i can answer and then i find out i don't know as much as i would like, but the benefits of sticking with debian have outweighed the negatives of "playing around" with other OS's .. in fact if I really wanted to try something else it would be BSD ...

maybe I gave you something to think about here - maybe not - but i figured i'd chime in.

Shawn Lamson
madzimambo@optonline.net