NFX file size limit

My program is writing trace output via printf to standard output on an
i386 sarge system.  Standars output is redirected to an NFS-mounted
reiser partition on an etch AMD64 machine.  It hit thr wall at
2147483647 bytes, giving me the message

File size limit exceeded

ls tells me

-rw-r--r--  1 hendrik hendrik 2147483647 2006-03-08 09:41 traceout

Now how do I dismantle this limit?  Is it a printf and fprintf
limit? a stdout limit? an NFS limit?  a kernel limit on one machine or
the other?  Or (I suspect not) a reiser limit?

And how do I get around it?  I really do still have 73G free on the
target partition, and I'd like to get to use them.

-- hendrik