Re: NFX file size limit

On Wed, Mar 08, 2006 at 06:24:40PM -0500, hendrik@topoi.pooq.com wrote:
> My program is writing trace output via printf to standard output on an
> i386 sarge system.  Standars output is redirected to an NFS-mounted
> reiser partition on an etch AMD64 machine.  It hit thr wall at
> 2147483647 bytes, giving me the message
>
> File size limit exceeded
>
> ls tells me
>
> -rw-r--r--  1 hendrik hendrik 2147483647 2006-03-08 09:41 traceout
>
> Now how do I dismantle this limit?  Is it a printf and fprintf
> limit? a stdout limit? an NFS limit?  a kernel limit on one machine or
> the other?  Or (I suspect not) a reiser limit?
>
> And how do I get around it?  I really do still have 73G free on the
> target partition, and I'd like to get to use them.
>
> -- hendrik

That's about 2G - that's not an uncommon file size limit on a 32 bit system.

printf - possible. NFS - more likely. Stdout - no limit I know of.

Reiser may have limits per _file_ of around that size but not per
_filesystem_ - I don't know. 2G is a fairly large single file to
throw around. [Jigdo - to build CD's and DVDs' has a similar bug -
it will handle 4.7G files for a DVD fine - but the counter goes negative
above 2G for a while and the apparent rate at which files are
"downloaded" and written to the image goes crazy. Above 2 x 2G, the
counter snaps back to positive and all's well again. A bad wraparound
somewhere. Quite entertaining to watch :)

Andy