Re: I missed the kernel-image to linux-image thing!

Patrick Wiseman wrote:

> I guess I missed something in the weekly update of my testing system.  I
> needed to recompile my 2.4.27 kernel (because USB mass storage suddenly
> broke, on which I'll post seperately if I can't figure it out).  So, I go to
> 'dpkg -i linux-image-2.4.27_...' and it bails because installation will
> overwrite a file (it turns out LOTS of files) provided by '
> kernel-image-2.4.27'.  I used the --force-overwrite option to dpkg to
> install anyway, and it seems no harm was done.  I'm sure there was some good
> reason for the change, but the transition could have been made a little more
> transparent!

I cannot speak for how transparent it is or it is not, but you should
have uninstalled kernel-image-2.4.27 before installing
linux-image-2.4.27, and not let it overwrite things. Now if you
uninstall one of them, it will take part of files belonging to another
with it. You should now uninstall (purge) both of them and only install
one, or things may break when you least expect it.

The rename itself was done because Debian supports not only Linux
kernels, but also FreeBSD, HURD and probably more, so "kernel-image"
would make it impossible to tell them apart.