Re: Installing fonts

Apparently, _L.V.Gandhi_, on 03/06/2006 10:42 AM,typed:
On 3/5/06, H.S. <hs.samix@gmail.com> wrote:

L.V.Gandhi wrote:

You put the fonts in /usr/share/fonts/truetype/win98 for all users if
you have root access or put it in ~/.fonts and then do
dpkg-reconfigure fontconfig.

Doesn't "dpkg-reconfigure fontconfig" also need root access to run?

yes.

Right ... just wanted to verify.

For a per user basis, here is what I do at my school where I have installed fonts in my ~/.fonts directory:
1. Copy the ttf fonts in ~/.fonts
2. run fc-cache -fv ~/.fonts

and I can then see the fonts.

For system wide fonts, I guess you put all the fonts in /usr/local/share/fonts/ and tell the X system that this directory contains the fonts and then run fc-cache -fv. How to tell the system where to look for fonts? I suggest one should search google (I am not sure, and don't want to guess).

GL,
->HS

--
(Remove all underscores,if any, from my email address to get the correct one. Apologies for the inconvenience but this is to reduce spam.)