Installing fonts

I copied over the win98 fonts to /usr/local/share/fonts/truetype/win98 .. did the usual $ mkfontscale; mkfontdir.. added the directory in /etc/X11/XF86config-4.. added it likewise to /etc/fonts/local.conf.. and did and $ fc-list to verify all this magic had worked.. and now I'm getting somewhat weird output with funky non-printables.. like so:

Utopia:style=Regularle=Regular,Normal,obyÄ
cmmi10:style=Medium né Kurzíva,Halvfed Kursiv,Fett Kursiv,Lihavoitu Kursivoitu,Gras Italique,Félkövér DÅlt,Grassetto Corsivo,Vet Cursief,Halvfet Kursiv,Pogrubiona Kursywa,Negrito Itálico,ÐолÑжиÑнÑй ÐÑÑÑив,Fet Kursiv,Kalın Ä°talik Perpetua:style=Italic,Cursiva,kurzíva,kursiv,Î né kurzíva,fed kursiv,Fett Kursiv,ÎνÏivo,Cursief,Kursywa,Itálico,ÐÑÑÑив,Ä°talik,PoÅ¡evno,Etzana Calisto MT:style=Bold Italic,Negreta cursiva,tuÄ Î¿Î½Î± Πλάγια,Negrita Cursiva,Lihavoitu Kursivoi,Gras Italique,Félkövér dÅlt,Grassetto Corsivo,Vet Cursief,Halvfet Kursiv,Pogrubiona kursywa,Negrito Itálico,ÐолÑжиÑнÑй ÐÑÑÑив,Fet Kursiv,Kalın Ä°talik,Krepko poÅ¡evno,Lodi etzana

Anybody seen this..?

I already had the ms core fonts package/.deb installed but this adds a few more.. As far as I can tell everything is fine - ie. the new fonts such as arial-unicode are available in fontconfig-aware apps like mozilla... I just don't like leaving stuff like this unexplained sweep it under the carpet..

Is there a more "debian way" of doing what I just did..??

Thanks.