Re: Graphics Drivers (I'm new to Linux)

travis.newton@starcomputing.cjb.net wrote:

I took a look through, I used the first link in the email I was given
(http://home.comcast.net/~andrex/Debian-nVidia/index.html) and under the
heading, "Stock or Custom Kernel?" I ran the following in a terminal:

apt-cache policy kernel-image-$(uname -r)

and I was given the following:

kernel-image-2.3.27-2-386:
Installed: 2.4.27-10sarge1
Candidate: 2.4.27-10sarge1
Version Table:
*** 2.4.27-10sarge1 0
500 http://mirrors.kernel.org stable/main Packages
500 http://security.debian.org stable/updates/main Packages
100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

To quote the HOWTO (link above):
"If a version is listed as installed, but the only source listed for the
installed version is /var/lib/dpkg/status, then you may be running a
custom kernel, or a stock kernel that's old enough to have dropped out of
the Debian distribution."

How would I go around getting the kernel sources for this so that I may
execute the official installer from NVIDIA?

Travis
You are running Debian's stock kernel. You can get the corresponding kernel source by installing the kernel source package. The appropriate command on sarge is

apt-get install kernel-source-2.4.27

raju

--
Kamaraju S Kusumanchi