hardware detection at boot time

The boot process appears to run some kind of hardware detection at two stages. The first one begins with a line like:

"Detecting hardware: agpgart i810-tco yenta_socket 3c59x piix i810_audio usb-uhci"

and will load any modules for these if they're present and if the code isn't built into the kernel.

Then slightly later in the process there's another round of efforts to load modules. in which you unsurprising get "already loaded" messages. Why is this? It appears to me that the second effort is done by the hotplug code, which presumably can be controlled by the scripts in /etc/hotplug. But what is it that causes the first set of hardware detection? Could someone please very briefly explain how this works and correct me if my understanding is askew?