gstreamer, esd, arts, and other black magic

Hi everyone,

I read in the recent hullaballoo about the release of gstreamer010
that kde is "abandoning arts in favour of gstreamer."  Now I don't use
kde, but I do use gnome sometimes, and mostly xfce, and in both cases
I route sound trhrough esd.  This causes any number of incredibly
frustrating problems, e.g. firefox now crashes every time it
encounters a sound.  So when I heard this about kde, I wondered
whether it would be possible now to dispense with esd altogether and
just make everything go directly through gstreamer (perhaps including
system sounds etc).  After many years of using these programs, I still
don't understand them very well and wondered whether someone might
clarify the relations among them & the prospects for using gstreamer in the
way I've just described.

Thanks as always,

Matt

 .''`.       Matt Price