Re: FAQ on debian newcomer list

On Fri, Mar 03, 2006 at 09:44:23AM -0500, kamaraju kusumanchi wrote:

> The line between private posts and personal posts is very hazy. For
> example, after solving his problem, if the OP wants to thank all the
> authors who replies to his query, should he send personal replies to
> them or should he post it to the list (assuming there are only handful
> who replied to his query)?

Thanking the authors can certainly be public.  It might encourage
lurkers to reply to other messages, seeing that replies are appreciated.
That said, thanks might be appropriately included in a final post by the
original querent when he announces just how the problem was solved.
I never resent a thank-you posting, even if the thank-you is the
entire content of the posting.

-- hendrik