Re: upgrading Cyrus

Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:

ctl_mboxlist is in /usr/sbin in the Cyrus 2.1 packages.

Oh! Yeah, there it is, tnx :) I was searching for it with find, but it wasn't found.

If you are moving from 1.5 to 2.2, I'd recommend doing it using imapsync,
instead of trying to convert the spool.  It is much simpler for modest-sized
(not multi-gigabyte) spools.

It's 24 GB of mail in about 70 mailboxes. Lots of them have rather deeply nested structures with folders, subfolders and subsubfolders. Folder names contain spaces and Umlauts.

Can imapsync handle that?

Afair I once tried it out to copy everything from one mailbox into a folder of another, and it didn't work. It was a hassle to find some program that could actually do it.

The current mailserver is not being replaced. It will get new disks because the old ones seem to start failing. A software upgrade is also overdue because it's still running Woody.

The new disks are larger than the old ones, so I plan to set them up as a second RAID 1 and to do a fresh install of Testing on it. Then I would copy the mailspool from the old RAID 1 over to the new one and convert it. Once the server is renewed like that, I would remove the old disks.

I don't really like doing it this way, but I couldn't think of a better way to do it. I'll have to do it on some weekend because the users will use the mailserver during the week. If it takes longer than a weekend, I can still run the old software unchanged (as long as the old disks last ...) and finish it the other weekend.

If I had another server, I would consider making a Cyrus cluster; there seems to be support for that now :)

Any ideas are welcome ... :)

To copy the mail with imapsync, I would have to set up all users and all mailboxes on my workstation, copy the mail over, set up the server and copy the mail back from my workstation to the server.

That sounds like even more work, even if imapsync works.

GH