Re: Need help recovering Debian that won't boot.

Kent West wrote:

kenn wrote:

Kent West wrote:

kenn wrote:

Kent West wrote:

kenn wrote:
I have a Debian server that does not complete its boot ... early on, it

Maybe rename the rc[whatever]. directory so no services/daemons start
up, and reboot normally, and go from there?

After mounting, I still get the segmentation fault on "ls" ... "which
ls" points to "/bin/ls" and "ldd /bin/ls" results in several lines, none
of which contain "rc" so I may not be understanding you there ...

Sorry; these are two separate things: using ldd to track down the dependencies, and renaming /etc/rcX.d to prevent startup scripts from running.

Although, now that I've had some time for the symptoms to sink in, I'm thinking that running ldd against your [e]grep binaries might be more enlightening:

westk[@westek]:/home/westk:> which grep
/bin/grep

Wed Mar 01     11:36:31
-------------
westk[@westek]:/home/westk:> which egrep
/bin/egrep

Wed Mar 01     11:36:33
-------------
westk[@westek]:/home/westk:> ldd /bin/grep
       linux-gate.so.1 =>  (0xffffe000)
       libc.so.6 => /lib/tls/libc.so.6 (0xb7ea0000)
       /lib/ld-linux.so.2 (0xb7fea000)

Wed Mar 01     11:36:48
westk[@westek]:/home/westk:> ldd /bin/egrep
       not a dynamic executable

Wed Mar 01     11:37:02
westk[@westek]:/home/westk:> ls -l /bin/egrep
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 33 2005-11-09 17:07 /bin/egrep

--
Kent