Need help recovering Debian that won't boot.

Greetings.

I have a Debian server that does not complete its boot ... early on, it
display a Copyright notice for grep, then for egrep, then for grep
again, then for egrep again, then hangs .... I've booted the computer
from a Knoppix CD and can see all the files, I just can't get it to boot.

I also tried to run fsck from Knoppix but, whether from my fault or
otherwise, that didn't solve the problem.  At this point, I'm getting a
little desperate.

Any and all ideas GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks.

Kenn Caldwell