Re: Further installation woes WAS: trouble installing RAID and LVM.

On Mon, Feb 27, 2006 at 03:49:10PM +1300, Chris Bannister wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 26, 2006 at 03:29:23PM -0500, hendrik@topoi.pooq.com wrote:
> > On Sun, Feb 26, 2006 at 03:59:23PM +1300, Chris Bannister wrote:
> > > On Sun, Feb 19, 2006 at 05:25:30PM -0500, hendrik@topoi.pooq.com wrote:
> [..]
> > >                            ^^^^^^                ^
> > > Should really copy & paste errors, as an error in the error can be
> > > confusing :-)
> >
> > Quite agree.  Is there a way to copy and paste during installation?  At
> > this point I was using the text-only console apparently provided by the
> > installer.
>
> Oh, should have spotted that. I think there is a . . . ah here:
>
> less /var/log/debian-installer/messages
>
> But somehow you would need access to it. :-)
>
> Hang on, when did python become an essential package? This looks like it
> is after the installation phase so maybe using script?

During the installation, after the reboot into the new system, it goes
into package-selection mode.  It is during this time that it gave me the
choice of choosing categories of packages or individual package
selection.  When I ask for the package category "minimal system" here
and nothing else, I have the problems I reported.  The installer refused
to get past this point until I specified nothing at all, not even the
so-called "minimal system".  But fortunately, the system runs without
the so-called "minimal" system.  I presume the dependencies are screwed
up somehow.  Is it dselect that the intaller uses for this phase?  If
so, I could probably repeat the problem, unless, of course, the
dependencies have been fixed in the meantime.

-- hendrik

It may be relevant, and I thing it's mentioned somewhere in the ancient
history of this thread, but it is the AMD64 port I amd having all these
problems with.