Re: How long must a bug report be ignored before I escalate?

On Mon, Feb 27, 2006 at 11:18:31AM +0100, Vincent Lefevre wrote:
> On 2006-02-26 16:36:07 -0500, Kevin Mark wrote:
> > this scene is repeated often is seem amongst a few debian package
> > maintainers: unresponsiveness. It could mean that are just REAL life
> > is involving them.
>
> This is a problem when after several months, the maintainer hasn't
> replied (I've already seen 15 months after an important two-line
> trivial patch has been posted). I wonder if there is an official
> way to ask for a NMU when the maintainer has never replied after
> some time and one or two pings.

Hi Vincent,
as I mentioned, there are users who use $SOFTWARE in debian and want to
improve/fix issue with the software but are not the official maintainer
and for what ever reason do not want to be the official maintainer. There
should be a way for this special users to have their patches/issues
addressed and if found to be solid to allow to have their patch applied
or to have someone say what the reason was, which would allow it to be
addressed. I do not want users with the skills to fix/improve stuff to
feel disenfranchised by a maintainer who is not responsive. Maybe it is a
job for the technical committee in debian, I would have to investigate
the roles within debian to find out if there exists such a person or who
would be empowered to create a kind of ombudsman for users/official
maintinaers.

> And what about bugs assigned to FTP master (i.e. several developers)?
> http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=324125 is still not
> fixed after 6 months.
My guess from my observations is that the package maintainers choices
are not as respected as it should be or that there is not sufficient
communication between ftp-masters and the mainainter about the
ftp-masters overrides. I got this impression after reading about the
packages-archive-specific (p-a-s) list where the maintainer should say
'dont build for X' inside the package and the ftp-master or others would
make the p-a-s list not listen to this because the 'ftp-master knows
best'.
Cheers,
Kev