Re: How long must a bug report be ignored before I escalate?

On Sun, Feb 26, 2006 at 08:15:00AM -0600, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
} Carl Fink wrote:
} >I know Debian now has a system to report non-responsive maintainers, but I
} >hate to jump on someone.
} >
} >I submitted a bug (#354079) on Stable's Squirrelmail on Wednesday.  So far
} >the only response was the automated one from the bug tracking system.
} >
} >When is it apprioprate to e-mail the maintainer?  To report him?  I await
} >etiquette advice.
}
} Perhaps there is something official on this, but experience proves that
} bug reports should be just that, not attempts to achieve a timely
} solution to a problem. That might be the result in some cases, but most
} often it is not.
}
} In your case you are disputing the dependencies of a package. AFAIK that
} might easily involve misunderstanding.
}
} If I were you I would build the package with the dependency that you
} have in mind and see what happens.
}
} General etiquette in my mind would involve never to cast a negative
} light on anyone, since it solves nothing and merely sows discord.

Okay, different situation, same question. I submitted a wishlist bug, with
a patch, more than eight months ago. The desired change is simple and the
patch only alters/adds a few dozen lines in a single source file. I've
tested the patch and it works nicely. In fact, I've been running my own
patched package since then. Last month the maintainer released a new
package, but it only fixed a build-deps bug.

Should I send the maintainer mail? AFAICT, there is no longer any upstream,
just the Debian package. Note that I had positive results contacting this
maintainer directly almost two years ago when I wanted someone else's patch
included in the same package.

Package and maintainer names omitted to protect the innocent. Or guilty. Or
whatever.

} H
--Greg