Re: CUPS, Sarge/Debian/GNU/Linux and Mac OS X

On Sun, Feb 26, 2006 at 12:14:20PM -0700, Paul E Condon wrote:
> I have been attempting to get CUPS working in a mixed Sarge/MacOSX environment.
> Actually, I have it working but my current solution is not to my liking.
> My question is:
>
> Is there anyone out there who has Mac running OSX sharing a printer attached
> to a box running  Sarge, and NOT running netatalk/ATALKD-PAPD ?
>
> If you have such, will you please share with me the exact configuration of
> /etc/cups/cupsd.conf ?
>
> Was there something other than cupsd.conf that you had to change to get it
> working? What?
>
> I have been able to set up a situation in which the Macs can discover the
> existence of the printer attached to the Sarge box, but I have not been
> able to get jobs submitted from the Macs to actually print without enabling
> printing in netatalk.

Hi Paul,
I was reading Ross Burton's blog via planet.debian.org and He and others
are working on getting ZeroConf-like stuff(avahi,mDNS,dbus) working on
Debian/Ubuntu. It seem as this technology came from Apple and now is
being ported to Gnome/Debian/Ubuntu, and it could in the future be used
to detect and configure stuff on both mac and debian. Read his last 10
posts for more info/examples.
Cheers,
Kev