Re: linux help (running apache web server)

On 2/24/06, Wale Akintan <walecisco@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hello, Im a complete rookie in linux and I have just installed redhat 9.0. I

This is a Debian support list, not Redhat.  For Redhat or apache
specific help you really ought to try redhat.com and apace.org to find
the relevant mailing lists.  You are much more likely to find help
there and much less likely to have your inbox filled with flames.
That said, here is the little help I can offer.

> am a totally new user. I downloaded some instructions on installing apache
> web server, and it seemed to go fine. I test started the web server with the

It would be much more useful to know what instructions you followed.
A url to these instructions, or if they are not too long including
them in the e-mail would be good.

> /usr/local/apache/bin/apachectl start command and it started. pid 18089. the

Debian uses a different method to start its daemons so I can't say if
this is correct or not.  Again, a RedHat based list would be a better
choice.

> instructions says to go into the address bar http://localhost/  and see if i
> can get in to start editing. I keep getting - ' the connection was refused
> when attempting to contact local host'. I checked the proxy settings. I

First, I wouldn't expect to beable to edit the page by accessing it in
a browser.  To beable to do this, the browser would need to know what
directory the website's root is at, and have write permission to it.

Second, in my experience, "connection refused" has usually indicated
that a firewall isn't letting packets through.  In Debian there isn't
a firewall configured by default.  A list full of Redhat users would
know better about how Redhat configures any default firewalls.  You
likely need to punch a hole for port 80.

> tried to telnet into the server- telnet localhost 18089.- connection
> refused. i tried telnet 127.0.0.1 18089 just in case it was a dns issue-

DNS will not be queried trying to access localhost.  DNS is for public
names and ip addresses.  The resolver will most likely look in a
configuration file in your /etc direcotry for the proper number.  On
Debian, this file is /etc/hosts.  It may be the same on Redhat but it
has been 8 years since I ran it and at that time I was as green as you
are so I don't remember.

Webservers, by default, run on port 80.  When you typed `telnet
localhost 18089` you were telling telnet to access port 18089 on your
system.  Since 18089 is the pid of apache, I'm not suprised that the
connection was refused when trying that.  The command you are looking
for is `telnet 127.0.0.1 80`.

> still same thing. Im beat! I dont know what to do. I see you helped someone
> in my type of situation so i thought id try my luck.

What to do:
*google for the terms: apache conection refused redhat
*read the redhat documentation regarding firewalls
*read the redhat documentation regarding setting up apache
*read the apache documentation on installing apache
*e-mail the redhat users mailing list giving more explicit steps on
what you've tried and what the problem is.
*If you are still having problems look harder and repost or call a
linux consultant who would be glad to fix it for a fee

What not to do:
Don't post to a mailing list for a distrubition different than the one
you are running.  This is a VERY high volume list and a lot of the
subscribers have very little patience for questions that should be
directed else where.

I hope this helped.

--Dave