linux help (running apache web server)

Hello, Im a complete rookie in linux and I have just installed redhat 9.0. I am a totally new user. I downloaded some instructions on installing apache web server, and it seemed to go fine. I test started the web server with the /usr/local/apache/bin/apachectl start command and it started. pid 18089. the instructions says to go into the address bar http://localhost/  and see if i can get in to start editing. I keep getting - ' the connection was refused when attempting to contact local host'. I checked the proxy settings. I tried to telnet into the server- telnet localhost 18089.- connection refused. i tried telnet 127.0.0.1 18089 just in case it was a dns issue- still same thing. Im beat! I dont know what to do. I see you helped someone in my type of situation so i thought id try my luck.

Yahoo! Mail