Re: Forbidding a version of a package in debian

On 2/24/06, Walt Mankowski <waltman@pobox.com> wrote:
I'm running debian testing.  I ran "aptitude dist-upgrade" yesterday
and it wants to install a version of libfreetype6 that I'm worried
will break my window manager (Window Maker).  I'd like to put that
version of libfreetype6 on hold until things get sorted out.  I read
through the aptitude man page and this looked like the proper way to
do it:

  aptitude forbid-version libfreetype6=2.1.10-1

When I run "aptitude show libfreetype6" it says that version is
forbidden:

  Forbidden version: 2.1.10-1

but dist-upgrade still wants to install it.

I don't do aptitude on the command line, but can't you just put the package on hold ('=' if you're using the 'gui')?

Patrick