Re: 2.6.15 boot problems

On Friday 24 February 2006 08:25, Bradley Alexander wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-02-23 at 22:29 -0700, John Schmidt wrote:
> > Yes, as I understand it reiserfs has some attribute issues with 2.6.15.
> > I heard that it will be fixed in 2.6.16.  Someone has posted a work
> > around but it may be hard to do with reiserfs on /.
>
> Is this specific to AMD? I have been running 2.6.15 on my 2GHz Pentium-M
> equipped HP laptop for almost a month with no problems.
>
> --b

I don't know if it is architecture specific or not.

I have seen this on an xeon box with reiserfs on /.

System worked fine with a 2.6.8 kernel.

Installed the linux-image-2.6.15-1-686-smp and rebooted.  System hung trying
to start syslogd.  After some time, system continued to boot but no
syslogging.  I got weird error messages having to do with uid/gid when doing
things with sudo.

At about the same time, I saw a message on debian-user (I believe) having to
do with attribute errors with reiserfs and 2.6.15.  A work around was
proposed and subsequent follow-ups suggested that errors still persisted.  I
didn't pursue the solution, since the machine is located 1000 miles from me
and the machine would still work fine with 2.6.8.  I also heard that a fix
was in the 2.6.16.  I decided the easiest course of action was to wait until
2.6.16 and try again.

 John