Re: Error rebooting after upgrade from 2.6.12-i36 to 2.6.15-i686

Arnau Rebassa Villalonga wrote:

Hi all,

I've installed a new Dell poweredge 850 server with SCSCI disks formated as ext3 from a netinstall, it run smoothly and installed the 2.6.12-i386 kernel image. After the aptitude dist-upgrade, I upgraded the linux-image to the 2.6.15-686 and also to 2.6.15-686-smp (having with both the same result) and when I reboot the machine it displays the following errors:

  Alert! /dev/sda1 does not exist. Dropping to a shell!

  /bin/sh: can't access tty; job control turned off

and a busybox shell appears. Anybody knows how to fix this?

Regards

Try run level 1. I had a problem upgrading from kernel-image-2.6.8 to linux-image-2.6.15-1-686 in Etch. The image was only half installed. I could not boot normally, but I could boot from Grub in recovery mode (run level 1). After supplying the root password for maintenance, I tried to install again. apt-get failed at first, but suggested

apt-get -f install

This did the trick. (I have found that apt-get will work even when aptitude occasionally gets confused - perhaps that helped too.)

Hth,
Chris.