2.6.15 boot problems

I have a 1.2 GHz Athlon, which I am trying to upgrade from 2.6.15 from 2.6.14.
I compiled both kernels by hand, using the Debian way (make-kpkg).

With 2.6.14, it boots, however with 2.6.15, I get the initial portion of the
boot messages, it boots Reiserfs read-only on / (/dev/hda2), frees console
memory, then gives me the following message:

 unable to open an initial console

After that, it displays a message about the real time clock driver and a
couple of messages about serial 8250 being loaded. About 30 seconds later, I
get a boot prompt...However, no additional filesystems (including /proc
and /sys) get mounted, / remains mounted read-only, and no apps start
(presumably because of the filesystem). I am using lvm2 on all filesystems
except /.

A little more on the kernel compile. I am using the deb for both. I did an
apt-get install for 2.6.15, untarred the source, copied .config from 2.6.14
and did a make oldconfig. Gave a cursory look at the config, then did a
make-kpkg [ clean > modules_clean > kernel_image > modules_image ].

I have shfs, nvidia-kernel, loop-aes and loop-aes-ciphers as modules, as with
2.6.14.

Has anyone seen this before?

Regards,
--
--Brad
Bradley M. Alexander                       |