Sometimes nothing happens when printing to network printers

I've been having trouble printing to network printers from KDE and Gnome
applications lately, using CUPS or LP.  No errors show up, and as far as the
applications are concerned, the documents printed.  But the documents are
never actually sent to the printers.

There's no problem with the printers. They're mostly HP LaserJets. I've
checked with the network admins and the other users in the building. They've
had no such problems.

Killing cupds and restarting it sometimes works.  Rebooting my machine
always works.  But that's a Windows-style kluge--I'd like to actually fix
the problem.

Does anyone have any idea what could be wrong, and how to fix it?

Thanks,
Rob