Re: TTY and structure request for further reading.

Demon News wrote:
During the course of my work I have recently come across references to tty. In ps, /dev/ and others. I realised that although I see this all the time I don't actually know what it means. I searched the usual suspects and

TTY (sometimes pronounced "titty") is an abbreviation of TeleTYpewriter.

although I found that tty was/is a system used by the deaf to make telephone calls I have not been able to find out how/why it is used in

Originally used by all kinds of people for sending text messages
to various places, then taken up by the deaf. Even today, hams use
RTTY (pronounced "ritty") as Radio TeleTYpewriter.

When computers first began to be used, these devices were pressed
into service as the communications terminal with human beings.
The more common ones used were the KSR33 and ASR33, these meaning
"keyboard send/receive" and "automatic send receive" model 33.
The ASR33 had a paper tape reader/punch on it, so one could save
programs on paper tape.

When video terminals came into use, they were sometimes called
"glass TTYs".

Debian/Linux. I did find the getty man and can see that this handles the logon and stuff from a tty connection. And I know the a pty is a pseudo type connect. What I don't understand is why I have ttys in ps and /dev/ and how they relate to the structure of the system. Is it a historical thing? I know they are something to do with modems and terminal connections also that they can be used for things like voice recording.

A TTY connection is something one can log in over using a terminal. You
might also investigate pty (pseudo-Terminal) connections.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.