TTY and structure request for further reading.

During the course of my work I have recently come across references to tty.
In ps, /dev/  and others. I realised that although I  see this all the time
I don't actually know what it means. I searched the usual suspects and
although I found that tty was/is a  system used by the deaf to make
telephone calls I have not been able to find out how/why it is used in
Debian/Linux. I did find the getty man and can see that this handles the
logon and stuff from a tty connection. And I know the a pty is a pseudo type
connect. What I don't understand is why I have ttys in ps and /dev/ and how
they relate to the structure of the system. Is it a historical thing? I know
they are something to do with modems and terminal connections also that they
can be used for things like voice recording.

Any pointers to further reading that explains what these things actually are
and how they are used would be most welcome.

I'm off to the admin manual to see if that has any info. TIA for any help.
--
np