Re: gtk file picker and firefox

"Michael Marsh" <michael.a.marsh@gmail.com> writes:

> On 2/22/06, Nic <nferrier@tapsellferrier.co.uk> wrote:
>> "Michael Marsh" <michael.a.marsh@gmail.com> writes:
>> > Will switching back to the old filepicker make "Save as..." in "Page
>> > Info" work again?
>> Yes. I just tried it. It works.
>
> Odd...I can't even get the old file picker back.  That's with firefox
> 1.5.dfsg+1.5.0.1-2 in sid.  I've tried updating an extension, deleting
> an extension, installing a new extension (and later deleting it), all
> to no avail.

Here's the instructions again to provide some context:

 following in nsFilePicker.js which is located in the app's components
 directory. After making the change you have to re-register the
 components which is easily accomplished by disabling then re-enabling
 an extension and then restarting. Installing or un-installing an
 extension will also force a component registration.
 **** change:
     compMgr.registerFactoryLocation(FILEPICKER_CID,
                                     "FilePicker JS Component",
 //@line 278 *snip*
                                     "",
 //@line 280 *snip*
                                     fileSpec,
                                     location,
                                     type);
 **** to:
 Code:
     compMgr.registerFactoryLocation(FILEPICKER_CID,
                                     "FilePicker JS Component",
 //@line 278 *snip*
                                     FILEPICKER_CONTRACTID,
 //@line 280 *snip*
                                     fileSpec,
                                     location,
                                     type);

Did you alter the correct nsFilePicker ? I found that I had several
installed. Clearly you have to alter the one for the firefox 1.5 that
you actually execute. Ahem.  After I got the right one it worked for
me  /8->

>> FYI there are some greasemonkey scripts that present internal media as
>> a bunch of links to download.
>
> I've been avoiding installing greasemonkey, since the security
> researcher in me says "Danger Will Robinson!"  Falling back on C-u or
> C-i and wget works well enough in this case.

You can compile GM into a real firefox extension if you're worried
about that.

Nic