Re: Laptop battery

john gennard wrote:
    I am most grateful to the seventeen persons who
responded to my request; it would take up a lot of list
space to reply to each.

    In a few weeks, I'll be 76 and do not need to
use a battery as I've no intention or need to take the
machine outdoors. I could easily buy a new battery, but
from a logical point of view, is it sensible to spend
40% of the secondhand cost when I can use the Adapter
(one thing I have in my flat is a surfeit of plugs).

    What the replies prompt me to ask is:-

    a. Is it harmful to use the Laptop with Adapter
without any battery on board?

Possibly. It might work fine. It might cause a real
problem. It might be ok, until you turn off the computer,
then go bad.

    b. The way things are set up, the battery always
seemed to 'leak' a little and each time I booted up the
indicator would say eg '97% charged' and then go to 'fully
charged' very quickly. So topping up was constantly taking
place and this would seem to have been a bad thing. Could
this have created the memory block referred to in the replies?

It sounds like you have at least one dead cell.

    I've accepted the fact that the battery almost
certainly is u/s. I could later acquire a more uptodate
Laptop, but I belong to the generation that still believes
if you have something that works and fulfills your needs
why replace it. In the short time I've had it, I've grown
fond of this T20 and it's interchangeable drives and USB
peripherals. And it is a lot smaller than I see most now
on sale.

You and I agree on "reuse where possible". And I'm of the
"next" generation, being only 54 or so.

    Also (the same generation thing) I would like to
try replacing the cells just to see if I can do that, but
only if using the Laptop without any battery is feasible.

Ummm, I wouldn't try running it that way, without further
research. Also, changing cells requires a few special skills.
Can you solder? Are you afraid to try soldering to cells?

Also, if you have "new" cells and "old" cells, the new cells
can do bad things to the old ones, per my earlier message
about reverse charging.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.