mono for debian

I'm using Debian Sarge (stable) and searched for a mono package to install: apt-cache search mono.
I didn't get any  packages related to the mono project back. How can I install mono and run .NET applications
on my debian box?

I searched the internet and found the backports.org website. However I don't quite understand how it functions.
There are lots of packages under the mono directory (http://www.backports.org/debian/pool/main/m/mono/), but
I don't know which of them to install and, moreover, how to install them. They are not visible with the apt-get tool.

-Martin