Re: Midi editor

On Monday 20 February 2006 02:36, debian-user-digest-request@lists.debian.org
wrote:
> I'm trying to create some midi file. I'm using etch.
> - If I try to install noteedit or Kguitar, apt-get want to remove few
> useful packages (amarok and half of KDE...).
> - If I add sid in sources.list (with the prefered version to etch
> though) and try to install rosegarden4 it says that it depends on :
> kdelibs4c2a (>= 4:3.4.3-1), libjack0.100.0-0 (>= 0.100.0), libqt3-mt
> (>= 3:3.3.5)
> but that they won't be installed...
> - I tried brahms, but with no luck, font are not correct, I can"t
> place any note correctly.
> - I try to compile rosegarden4, but it depends on the dev packages of
> qt, and if I try to install them same result, apt-get wants to
> uninstall half of KDE

When kmail stopped working in Sid, I had to upgrade KDE myself. Sid was a
total mess. Made the whooooollee thing using konstruct. Then carefully
getting rid of kde and qt3-developement packages one by one, compiling what I
needed, I finalized the divorce. Sid is a lot more convenient but until
KDE/QT really plays on Sid once more, I am stuck compiling.

You can try to keep your existing installation. Make sure KDEDIR and QTDIR are
set in you environment to their directories.

Download kguitar sources, try to compile. May or may not succede. Same with
noteedit, any others. To compile the latest rosegarden which uses scons
rather than the familiar ./configure;make;make install. Make sure that
PKG_CONFIG_PATH is set in your environment to the pkgconfig directory so
scons configure can find your stuff. You may need to install a few items to
get rosegarden up but these should not need Sid's newer qt or kde
(hopefully). Then follow the instructions and compile rosegarden.

If this does not require newer kde, then all is well ... except is needs 1000
hz timing in your kernel. This needs be set in /usr/src/linux/.config and
then you make your own kernel from sources. Kernel-package from Sid
(make-kpkg) makes this really easy.

Good luck.