Re: OT: What wireless cards are well supported in Linux?

>Michael Perry <mperry@lnxpowered.org>
>
>Im using Asus WL-107G 54G cards here on Debian unstable with a
>2.6.15
>kernel.  The card uses the drivers from
>http://rt2x00.serialmonkey.com/wiki/index.php/Main_Page and it
>works very
>well.  No need for firmware either and its been compiling clean on
>this
>kernel.  I could not get the latest rt2x00 drivers to work for some
>reason so I'm using the rt2500 driver from there.
>
>BTW, the cards cost about 30.00 each from newegg.

The Ralink based cards do have linux drivers, but the newer ones are
now based on the rt61 drivers.  I did the same thing I searched for
the most open linux driver cards available and decided to use the
Ralink based cards. But I had problems with wep, and ESSID hiding.
I could never get my card to use wep with dhcp, or with a static ip
address.

This is also a problem in window's I just put that card into a
windows pvr, and wep does work, but i have to have my essid showing
in order for windows to find it.  It could be my Wireless AP, as
it's a few years old and only does 802.11b.  And the router AP
firware is old, because the company does not update the firware
anymore.

I have an old Orinoco silver 802.11b +5 volt card that is as stable
as stable can be. It never fails to see my AP, or has a problem
with wep. I must say that I have not seen any recent really good
cards with totally free drivers. I would like to see something that
supports everything like wep wap and does a good job.

If you want more information on my trials with the rt61 card, just
do a google search.

Gnu_Raiz