Re: OT: What wireless cards are well supported in Linux?

On Wed, 15 Feb 2006 19:20:21 +0100, Andreas Janssen wrote:
> Hello
>
> Magnus Therning (<magnus@therning.org>) wrote:
>
>> After cancelling a 7 month old order with one ISP I'm now fairly
>> hopeful I'll have ADSL at the end of the week. :-) So it's time to
>> start putting together a shopping list. The first item on it is a
>> wireless card for my desktop. What I'm looking for is a card that is
>> well supported in Linux. I refuse to use ndiswrapper, I simply don't
>> want any unfree source in my kernel. I'm ignorant when it comes to
>> wireless so any help/suggestions/comments are welcome.
>
> I use a Netgear WG311T and WG511T card (PCI and PCMCIA). Both are
> supported by the madwifi driver (atheros chip) and work with hostapd
> and wpa_supplicant. They support 802.11 a/b/g. Please note that the USB
> stick from the same product line uses another chipset.

I'm using Asus WL-107G 54G cards here on Debian unstable with a 2.6.15
kernel.  The card uses the drivers from
http://rt2x00.serialmonkey.com/wiki/index.php/Main_Page and it works very
well.  No need for firmware either and its been compiling clean on this
kernel.  I could not get the latest rt2x00 drivers to work for some
reason so I'm using the rt2500 driver from there.

BTW, the cards cost about 30.00 each from newegg.

--
Michael Perry | Do or do not. There is no try. -Master Yoda
mperry@lnxpowered.org | http://www.lnxpowered.org