Re: Unable to print from mozilla-firefox only

Jason M Cox wrote:
This issue started when trying to print from mozilla-firefox. I choose file>print. I get the print dialog. Then click print and get a window titled "printing" and a progress bar as if it is piping it to lpr. The progress bar completes the "printing" window disappears and nothing prints. I check lpr KJobViewer and they have no jobs and show that the printer is ready and accepting jobs. I tried to research this i n the archives but couldn't find the same problem. Also checked Mozilla website to no avail. Then resorted to the chat irc.debian.org <http://irc.debian.org> #debian. where user kevix instructed me too run: apt-get install xprint after installing i restarted mozilla-firefox and still have the same issue. Please note that I am able to print from other non Mozilla browsers such as Konqueror. All help is greatly appreciated.

Installing and using CUPS is worth doing anyway, as suggested by the previous respondent, but the problem with mozilla-firefox sounds like the same issue I had at one point.

The solution to this (when using CUPS) proved to be as follows: go into the print dialogue, then select "Properties" (I think - working from memory here as FF 1.5 is different on this). You're looking for an option that is labelled something like "Print command".

When I did this, that option was set to something like "lpr ${MOZ_PRINTER+NAME:+'-P'}${MOZ_PRINTER+NAME}". I changed this simply to "lp" and after that everything printed fine.