Re: OT: What wireless cards are well supported in Linux?

Hello

Magnus Therning (<magnus@therning.org>) wrote:

> After cancelling a 7 month old order with one ISP I'm now fairly
> hopeful I'll have ADSL at the end of the week. :-) So it's time to
> start putting together a shopping list. The first item on it is a
> wireless card for my desktop. What I'm looking for is a card that is
> well supported in Linux. I refuse to use ndiswrapper, I simply don't
> want any unfree source in my kernel. I'm ignorant when it comes to
> wireless so any help/suggestions/comments are welcome.

I use a Netgear WG311T and WG511T card (PCI and PCMCIA). Both are
supported by the madwifi driver (atheros chip) and work with hostapd
and wpa_supplicant. They support 802.11 a/b/g. Please note that the USB
stick from the same product line uses another chipset.

best regards
        Andreas Janssen

PGP-Key-ID: 0xDC801674 ICQ #17079270
Registered Linux User #267976