gcc 4.0.3 and kernel 2.6.8

Hi,

It seems there is a bug with the kernel 2.6.8 that the new verison of
gcc (4.0.3) has picked up. So I am now unable to make menuconfig:

make menuconfig
  HOSTCC  scripts/kconfig/mconf.o
scripts/kconfig/mconf.c:91: error: static declaration of 'current_menu'
follows non-static declaration
scripts/kconfig/lkc.h:63: error: previous declaration of 'current_menu'
was here
make[1]: *** [scripts/kconfig/mconf.o] Error 1
make: *** [menuconfig] Error 2

If you google for this problem is seems many people are having the same
problem.

What is the best work-around to this problem. Should I upgrade my kernel
to a newer version? If so which is the best version to upgrade to? I
would like to stick to a kernel from the debian repository.

Thanks

--
Glenn Meehan <glenn.meehan@optusnet.com.au>