Re: gcc 4.0.3 and kernel 2.6.8

Hello

Glenn Meehan (<glenn.meehan@optusnet.com.au>) wrote:

> It seems there is a bug with the kernel 2.6.8 that the new verison of
> gcc (4.0.3) has picked up. So I am now unable to make menuconfig:
>
> make menuconfig
>   HOSTCC  scripts/kconfig/mconf.o
> scripts/kconfig/mconf.c:91: error: static declaration of
> 'current_menu' follows non-static declaration
> scripts/kconfig/lkc.h:63: error: previous declaration of
> 'current_menu' was here
> make[1]: *** [scripts/kconfig/mconf.o] Error 1
> make: *** [menuconfig] Error 2
>
> If you google for this problem is seems many people are having the
> same problem.
>
> What is the best work-around to this problem. Should I upgrade my
> kernel to a newer version? If so which is the best version to upgrade
> to? I would like to stick to a kernel from the debian repository.

You should first tell us which Debian version you use. If you use stable
(which includes 2.6.8), use the default compiler (install the gcc
package). If you use testing or unstable, I recommend you either
explicitly use the older version of gcc (still available) or upgrade to
a newer kernel (testing/unstable has 2.6.15 right now). The 2.6.8
kernel also has some compatibility problems with newer userspace
programs like udev from testing/unstable.

best regards
        Andreas Janssen

PGP-Key-ID: 0xDC801674 ICQ #17079270
Registered Linux User #267976