Re: OpenGL direct rendering

Brent Bailey wrote:

I love my Debian system, but the only complaint I have is with the time it
takes for the graphics to appear.  I can see the background get repainted
everytime I log in. I think that this might be related to the video driver
not having direct rendering enabled.

I doubt it. Sounds more like you're trying to run some major memory hogs on a system with limited ram..?

 I am running kernel 2.6.12-1-686
from testing with the xserver-xorg 6.8.2.dfsg.1-11.

I checked with http://kmuto.jp/debian/hcl/ and I got the following:

10024742	Yes	ATI Technologies Inc	Rage Pro Turbo AGP 2X	ati

With discover video I get:

ATI Technologies, Inc. 3D Rage Pro AGP 1X/2X

I seem to have two xservers on my system (apt-cache showpkg xserver-XFree86):

6.8.2.dfsg.1-11
4.3.0.dfsg.1-14sarge1

dunno about the current xorg but afaik the drivers for old ati cards in xfree86 do not support dri.

So the general idea is that if you want to enable dri you may have to look for a driver that supports direct rendering - if one is available.. and replace the standard driver provided by xfree/xorg.

I have an ati mach64 on this ancient laptop and I found a driver that *does* do dri at

http://www.retinalburn.net/linux/

maybe worth reading even if (?) they do not support your parcticular chip.

Naturally you could also check the manufacturer (ati) site..
[...]

Thanks in advance for the help,
Not sure this helps but as mentioned earlier I seriously doubt enabling direct rendering will fix your problem. Apart from curiosity, my personal excuse for installing a driver that enabled dri was taking a look at tuxracer. If you do want to pursue the dri option and increase the fps count when running glxgears you might reach folks more knowledgeable than myself on the comp.os.linux.x newsgroup.