Re: Are pre-2.6.15 kernels incompatible with udev?

On Sun, Feb 12, 2006 at 10:02:47PM +0000, David Jarvie wrote:
> I have updated my etch installation with the latest updates, which include
> kernel 2.6.15 and udev. I find now that when I boot up an older (customised)
> 2.6.12 kernel, X fails to start up because it can't find the
> device /dev/psaux which is used for the mouse. Can somebody tell me how I can
> run my older kernel with etch and udev?

At a guess, udev won't start at all when it sees the older kernel, and
instead your system is using the real /dev directory from your root
filesystem.

You'll have to create /dev/psaux manually - use the MAKEDEV script (cd
/dev ; /sbin/MAKEDEV misc)

Cheers,

Paul

--
Paul Dwerryhouse http://leapster.org/paul/	| PGP Key ID: 0x6B91B584
Installing Debian Sarge with software RAID: