Are pre-2.6.15 kernels incompatible with udev?

I have updated my etch installation with the latest updates, which include
kernel 2.6.15 and udev. I find now that when I boot up an older (customised)
2.6.12 kernel, X fails to start up because it can't find the
device /dev/psaux which is used for the mouse. Can somebody tell me how I can
run my older kernel with etch and udev?

I need to run the older kernel because there are as yet no customised patches
available for 2.6.15 which will allow me to upgrade my customised kernel.

--
David Jarvie.