Re: VMWare Server and Kernel?

On Sunday 12 February 2006 10:21, Jan Johansson wrote:
> I am about to set up a new VMWare host since VMWare Server is now a
> free application.
>
> I have understood that in order to complie the various modules, you
> "must" use the exact same GCC for the kernel as for the module.
>
> Now, if I want to grab linux-image-2.6.15-686-smp and make sure I can
> build the VMWare modules how would I go about doing that?
>
> Can I download the kernel source and make an "exact copy" of the
> prepackaged kernel somehow? As in, all modules compiled the same way
> and so forth?
>
> Any hints appreciated!

Vmware is the guest or contains the guest OS, running, hopefully , on a
Debian host :-)
All you need is the headers for the running kernel.
Grab the header package that is the same version/revision as your kernel
package. When you install Vmware,  Vmware knows the path to the headers
and can compile the modules it needs.

--
Greg Madden