VMWare Server and Kernel?

I am about to set up a new VMWare host since VMWare Server is now a free
application.

I have understood that in order to complie the various modules, you "must"
use the exact same GCC for the kernel as for the module.

Now, if I want to grab linux-image-2.6.15-686-smp and make sure I can build
the VMWare modules how would I go about doing that?

Can I download the kernel source and make an "exact copy" of the prepackaged
kernel somehow? As in, all modules compiled the same way and so forth?

Any hints appreciated!