Re: SSH ate my computer!

According to Edward Shornock,
> On Fri, Feb 10, 2006 at 11:17:53PM -0800, Tyson Varosyan wrote:
> > Per previous thread where I was asking about options for running an
> > SSH server on my box, I ran apt-get install ssh. I was asked a few
> > simple questions and chose support for SSH 1 & 2 and selected Yes for
> > the use of some encryption key protocol. After the install, my box,
> > which was working perfectly and took hours to set up is now totally
> > hosed!!
>
> I can't see how it'd be SSH's fault...chalk it up to being a
> coincidence.
>
> > My ppp0 connection connects and dials up without issue. However, for
> > whatever reason, it is no longer pingable from the outside. I can ping
> > out, but services behind the box can no longer be reached!
>
> There's no need to remove SSH as that's not the problem, it's just a
> coincidence.
>
> Is this Sarge (stable) or Sid (unstable)?  If Sid, see if a package
> named "zeroconf" was pulled in as a dependency/recommended package and
> if so, remove it with "dpkg -P zeroconf".

If this doesn't work, try to identify the actual package
that caused the problem.  That way you file a bug against
it- which is a major step toward getting it fixed.

1. apt-get -s install ssh

...that tells you which packages would get installed if you
installed.  Next try to install each package separately and
check your network connection after each one.

2. apt-get -s install (pkg)=(version)

...check to see if a particlar package can install simply
(with no dependencies).  find one that is a simple
(one-package) install.

3. apt-get install (pkg)=(version)

... install one of the packages that ssh depends on

4. check to see if your problem has recurred.  if not,
continue with the next dependent package.  if so- that last
package was your culprit

> Also, check the IP address(es) with "ifconfig" to make sure they're what
> you expect them to be.  If it starts with 169.x.x.x, I'm sure of it
> being zeroconf rearing it's head...

Also check with 'route' to see that your default connection
is what you expect it to be.  If you ifdown connections you
aren't using if should be OK.

Best Regards,

Tony