SSH ate my computer!

Per previous thread where I was asking about options for running an SSH
server on my box, I ran apt-get install ssh. I was asked a few simple
questions and chose support for SSH 1 & 2 and selected Yes for the use of
some encryption key protocol. After the install, my box, which was working
perfectly and took hours to set up is now totally hosed!!

I have 2 connections on the computer. Internet going through ppp0 and
Ethernet connecting the box to the LAN. For whatever reason, my box always
treated my 1492 port as Eth0 (which was not used) and my NIC as Eth1. For no
apparent reason, after the install of SSH, my NIC is now detected by the
system as Eth0 - but that is not the end of my problems...

My ppp0 connection connects and dials up without issue. However, for
whatever reason, it is no longer pingable from the outside. I can ping out,
but services behind the box can no longer be reached!

I am about to pull my hair out!! At this point I am willing to just get rid
of SSH so I ran apt-get remove SSH, but my system did not go back to
pre-installation condition. Is there any way to UNINSTALL SSH and have my
box back the way it was?!

Tyson Varosyan
Technical Manager, Uptime Technical Solutions LLC.
tyson@up-times.com
www.up-times.com
206-715-TECH (8324)

UpTime/OnTime/AnyTime