Re: SSH ate my computer!

On Fri, Feb 10, 2006 at 11:17:53PM -0800, Tyson Varosyan wrote:
> Per previous thread where I was asking about options for running an SSH
> server on my box, I ran apt-get install ssh. I was asked a few simple
> questions and chose support for SSH 1 & 2 and selected Yes for the use of
> some encryption key protocol. After the install, my box, which was working
> perfectly and took hours to set up is now totally hosed!!

Don't use version 1 unless you really  have SSH v.1 around. SSH2 only
would be a whole lot better in security terms. dpkg-reconfigure ssh
to change the setting should do it.

> I have 2 connections on the computer. Internet going through ppp0 and
> Ethernet connecting the box to the LAN. For whatever reason, my box always
> treated my 1492 port as Eth0 (which was not used) and my NIC as Eth1. For no
> apparent reason, after the install of SSH, my NIC is now detected by the
> system as Eth0 - but that is not the end of my problems...

See various threads on this: you are not the only one with eth0/eth1
changes - it is possible to force an interface to an eth mapping. This
is possibly a udev issue?
> My ppp0 connection connects and dials up without issue. However, for
> whatever reason, it is no longer pingable from the outside. I can ping out,
> but services behind the box can no longer be reached!
In addition to installing SSH, did you install anything else or do an
apt-get update which brought in a whole load of packages?
As someone else said: which version: testing/Etch or unstable/Sid?
If running unstable/Sid - did  it pull in avahi or zeroconf?

> I am about to pull my hair out!! At this point I am willing to just get rid
> of SSH so I ran apt-get remove SSH, but my system did not go back to
> pre-installation condition. Is there any way to UNINSTALL SSH and have my
> box back the way it was?!

apt-get remove <packagename> ; dpkg -P <packagename> will remove and purge
configuration files for any <packagename>